LSS is a common condition usually caused by spinal osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis causes narrowing or stenosis of the central and/or lateral spinal canals and can lead to compression of the spinal nerves. LSS is a leading cause of pain, disability and loss of independence in older adults. An estimated 280 million seniors suffer from LSS worldwide and this number is expected to double in the next 30 years.
What are common symptoms?
- Most common symptom is buttock and leg pain with or without back pain
- The dominant impairment is standing and walking ability.
- Limited walking leads to a sedentary lifestyle and increased risk for heart attack, stroke, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer’s disease and premature death.
- Limited mobility also leads to isolation, depression and hopelessness that further deepens disability.
- Only 4% of people with LSS meet the minimum daily requirement of physical activity.
- Even small improvements in mobility can have a profound effect on overall health in this population.
What are the current treatments?
- Surgery for LSS can be effective for leg dominant symptoms but not usually for back pain. Surgical benefits for LSS diminish over time and there is increased risk for complications.
- Spinal injections for LSS do not usually help with symptoms of LSS or only provide small and/or short-term benefits.
- There is insufficient evidence for the benefits of oral medication including pregabalin, gabapentin and anti-inflammatories.
- Published clinical trials show that the Boot Camp program for LSS is effective in improving walking ability, reducing pain and improving over-all function both in the short and long-term.
Why learn the Boot Camp Program for LSS?
- Provides clients/patients with the knowledge, skill and self-confidence to manage LSS for the rest of their lives.
- 6-week program includes education, manual therapy and instruction on specific exercises and self-management strategies.
- Delivered using a cognitive-behavioural approach in order to change behaviours, attitudes and beliefs and mitigate negative expectations
- 85% of patients who complete the program show clinically important improvements that are sustained in the long-term
- Program tools include the Spinemobility Bolster and pedometer
- Learn how to use the Spinemobility Bolster and pedometer.
Our Spinemobility Treatment Program
The Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Boot Camp Program is a 6-week training program that has been clinically tested to significantly improve pain, walking distance and overall function, both in the short and long term.
Learn On Your Own
Learn to implement the Boot Camp Program by enrolling in our online course. The course consists of educational videos, a step-by-step instructional workbook and implementation guide.
Become a Trained Practitioner
Enroll and successfully complete a virtual or hands-on in-person certification workshop. Once completed you will be listed on our website as a trained practitioner.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Boot Camp Practitioner Value Startup Kit (Includes 5 Workbooks, 5 Patient CDs and 1 Practitioner CD)
What They’re Saying About Us
"I'm a retired family doctor with lumbar spinal stenosis. More than a year into Dr. Ammendolia's Boot Camp for LSS, I'm grateful to report I've had excellent improvement and now have many pain-free weeks. I can walk as far as I want on most days. I've been doing a self-dire...Read More
"I'm a retired family doctor with lumbar spinal stenosis. More than a year into Dr. Ammendolia's Boot Camp for LSS, I'm grateful to report I've had excellent improvement and now have many pain-free weeks. I can walk as far as I want on most days. I've been doing a self-directed program using the booklet and DVD with email support from Dr. Ammendolia, after an initial exam. The Boot Camp has given me back my freedom."Read Less