Knee Osteoarthritis is a degenerative process that affects the articular cartilage, bone and surrounding tissues of the knee joint. Aging is the most common cause, but injury and obesity can increase risk. Can lead to permanent changes to the structure of the knee including loss of alignment and stability.
What are common symptoms?
- Pain, tightness, stiffness and swelling around the knee
- Interrupted sleep
- Worse with weight bearing which can lead to limited walking ability
- Limited mobility can lead to a more sedentary lifestyle, and progressive deterioration of the knee and general health, both physically and psychosocially
What are current treatments?
- There is no cure for knee OA
- Knee replacement surgery is an effective treatment but usually recommended after inadequate response to conservative treatment
- Analgesics, anti-inflammatory medications, and steroid injections can provide short-term benefit but should not be recommended as a stand-alone treatment
- Multimodal conservative care combining weight loss (if necessary), education, specific exercises, and manual therapy is recommended
Why learn the Boot Camp Program for Knee OA?
- Improves short and long-term outcomes using a comprehensive best evidence approach
- Step-by-step and visit-by-visit instruction on how to implement the 6-week program
- Specific manual therapy techniques, exercises and self-management strategies to reduce pain and maximize function
- A cognitive-behavioural approach to change behaviours, attitudes and beliefs, and mitigate negative expectations
Our Treatment Program
The Knee Osteoarthritis Boot Camp Program is a 6-week training program aimed at reducing pain and improving functional mobility and quality of life.
Learn On Your Own
Learn to implement the Boot Camp Program by enrolling in our online course. The course consists of educational videos, a step-by-step instructional workbook and implementation guide.
Become a Trained Practitioner
Enroll and successfully complete a virtual or hands-on in-person certification workshop. Once completed you will be listed on our website as a trained practitioner.