AS is a type of inflammatory arthritis that affects the spine. It is an auto-immune disease but the exact cause is unknown, although there is a strong genetic component. About 3% of low back pain is caused by AS. It usually presents in early adulthood and is 10 times more common in males. It can progress slowly over time and result in spinal fusion (ankylosing), limited mobility, and a stooped posture.
What are common symptoms?
- Usually a gradual onset of back stiffness, most pronounced in the morning and after prolonged rest
- Weight loss (especially in the early stages) fatigue, tiredness, feeling feverish and night sweats are other symptoms
- Inflammation of the eyes (uveitis), bowel (colitis), and scaly skin lesions (psoriasis) can also be present
What are current treatments?
- Surgery is rarely required for AS
- Spinal injections for AS are generally not recommended
- Anti-inflammatory and biologic drugs are very effective especially in the early stages of the condition
- The best approach for AS combines pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments
- There is no cure for AS
Why learn the Boot Camp Program for AS?
- Significantly improve short and long-term outcomes using a comprehensive best evidence approach
- Step-by-step and visit-by-visit instruction on how to implement the 6-week program
- Specific manual therapy techniques, exercises and self-management strategies
- Instruction on effective postural training implemented with activities of daily living
- Reduce stiffness, maximize mobility and physical activity, and reduce risk of progression of stooped posture for life
- A cognitive-behavioural approach to change behaviours, attitudes and beliefs, and mitigate negative expectations
Our Treatment Program
The Ankylosing Spondylitis Boot Camp Program is a 6-week training program designed to improve short and long-term pain, stiffness and posture.
Learn On Your Own
Learn to implement the Boot Camp Program by enrolling in our online course. The course consists of educational videos, a step-by-step instructional workbook and implementation guide.
Become a Trained Practitioner
Enroll and successfully complete a virtual or hands-on in-person certification workshop. Once completed you will be listed on our website as a trained practitioner.
Online Ankylosing Spondylitis Boot Camp Course
(Videos are not available at this time only digital instructional workbook and implementation guides)